TRAINING IN FOT
Focusing-Oriented Therapy training is often in workshop format, and usually includes regular Focusing partnership time and Focusing-oriented supervision sessions between group meetings. The training is always highly experiential and begins with the trainee learning Focusing for themselves. Trainings also include becoming acquainted with major clinical and philosophical literature in the area of Focusing, the philosophy of implicit experiencing, and forms of Focusing-oriented practice.
Each training has its own flavour and emphasis and each teacher has their own style. It is good to be exposed to different teachers during one’s training in order to sample some of the huge diversity in the work of Focusing-Oriented Therapies. Our International Conferences in FOT offer a good opportunity to learn more about each approach and to sample various aspects of our diversity.
CENTRES for FOT TRAINING
Many Focusing-Oriented Therapists are also Teachers of FOT.
Check each FOTs page to see if they also teach Focusing to therapists and other helping professionals. Please feel free to contact any teacher who you might be interested in training with, as many teachers are willing to travel. FOT Teachers can also respond to requests for specific group teaching, presentations, and guest input at established institutions, as well as coordinating their own full training programmes, privately. Many teachers are fluent in more than one language – please check their listing. Please also check the News page for announcements of new workshops around the world.
Below is a listing of training organisations who offer workshops, specialist courses, and full programmes to certification level. Many FOTs offer their teaching both within training organisations and privately – either route can lead to certification as a FOT.
Central and South America
- Inspire Counselling Services, BC.
- Centre for Focusing-Oriented Therapy, Complex Trauma, BC.
- Grounding Change, Alberta.
- Focusing on Borden, Ontario.
- Focusing New England
- Empathy Work, Illinois
- Focusing Oriented Relational Psychotherapy Centre, NYC
- Focusing and Expressive Arts Institute, California
- Centre for Integrative Counselling, California
- Living Forward in Wholeness, California
- Seattle University Psychology Department
- Focussen Vlaanderen
- De Binnentuin Psychotherapeutisch Centrum
- Groupe d’Action et de Recherche Expérientielles en Focusing
- Focusing Zentrum Karlsruhe
- Focusing Institut Köln
- Integrale Praxis für Psychotherapie
- DAF – Deutsches Ausbildungsinstitut für Focusing und Focusing-Therapie
Pacific & South-East Asia
Africa, Asia and Middle East